On November 6, 1924, the Sisters of the Pallottine Missionary Society opened St. Mary's Hospital on a foundation of faith. The sisters built St. Mary's on a set of core values, which can still be seen in the Medical Center's lobby today. From the moment when St. Mary's first opened its doors, the sisters set out to fulfill their mission:
"We are inspired by the love of Christ to provide quality health care in ways which respect the God-given dignity of each person and the sacredness of human life."
And, so began the tradition that is St. Mary's Medical Center. It has been nearly eight decades since the doors were first opened, and during that time, thousands of lay people have joined the Sisters in fulfilling the Medical Center's mission. Along the way, St. Mary's has built on a tradition of faith, a tradition of hope, a tradition of healing and a tradition of service. Most of all, St. Mary's has built on a tradition of care.