St. Mary’s Pulmonary Rehabilitation is a national leader in helping patients with COPD. The program is among a select few in the country to receive disease-specific certification from the Joint Commission for excellence in patient treatment and care.
What is COPD?
COPD stands for chronic obstructed pulmonary disease. This is a lung condition that causes symptoms such as coughing and shortness of breath during daily activities. The primary cause of COPD is cigarette smoking although it can be caused by other environmental irritants.
The benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation can be seen by anyone who has been diagnosed with a lung disease or condition that is limiting his or her ability to perform daily activities such as walking, bathing, eating and doing household chores.
Reported outcomes of pulmonary rehabilitation include:
- Improved quality of life
- Reduced hospitalizations
- Reduced respiratory symptoms
- Improved ability to perform daily activities of living
- Increased exercise tolerance and performance
- Increased knowledge of pulmonary disease
The outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation program works to:
- Improve exercise tolerance/endurance
- Re-train breathing techniques
- Instruct on airway clearance techniques
- Instruct on proper use of medications
- Increase knowledge of pulmonary disease and management
- Nutritional assessment/counseling
- Increase overall quality of life
- Develop psychosocial support
- Offer support group
The inpatient pulmonary rehabilitation program is the only one of its type in the area performed at the patient’s bedside. It works to:
- Provide bedside education on pulmonary disease
- Provide bedside education on pulmonary medications, correct use of inhalers and cleaning of home equipment
- Ambulate patient
- Decrease length of hospital stay
- Decrease re-admission rates for patients with COPD
- Offer smoking cessation counseling
Ready to quit smoking?
St. Mary’s smoking cessation program offers:
- One-on-one counseling with a Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist
- Individualized program focusing on each person’s personal motives for quitting
- Individual treatment plan
- Sessions scheduled at your convenience
Enrollment is just $25.
To register, call (304) 399-7402.