Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy
St. Mary’s Rehabilitation Services provides occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech and language pathology to those affected by illness or injury.
St. Mary’s team of specially trained healthcare professionals works to compassionately restore function and quality of life through skilled therapy services. Patients in rehabilitation services receive treatment by licensed staff members with advanced training and specialty certifications.
Rehabilitation services include:
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Orthopedic and sports injuries
- Treatment of neurological disorders
- Treatment of balance disorders/fall prevention program
- The only comprehensive lymphedema treatment program in the Tri-State certified by the National Lymphedema Network. Care is provided by staff members who are certified in the treatment of lymphedema.
- Prevention and health promotion through work simplification, energy conservation, body mechanics and joint protection
- Recommendations for home safety and modifications
- Pelvic health services
- Massage therapy
The goal of physical therapy is to provide individualized evaluation, treatment and education to improve function and relieve pain after illness, injury or surgery.
Physical therapy services include:
- Treatment of orthopedic and sports injuries, including neck and back pain, sprains, strains and post-surgical rehabilitation
- Work-related injuries
- Fitting and training in the use of orthotics and prosthetics
- Treatment of gait and balance disorders
Our treatment focuses on developing and restoring independence and function in daily living, including activities such as bathing, dressing, eating, homemaking, writing and driving.
Occupational therapy services include:
- Custom fabrication of splints
- Visual, perceptual and cognitive re-training
- Education and training in use of adaptive equipment
- Sensorimotor re-training
- Restoring functional independence in activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Treatment of upper extremity orthopedic and neurologic injuries
Speech and language pathologists seek to improve an individual’s ability to swallow and communicate effectively following an illness, disease or injury. Services offered include adult and pediatric communication and swallowing, and augmentative alternative communication assessments.
Speech/language pathology services include:
- Diagnosis and treatment of speech, language and voice disorders
- Diagnosis and treatment of swallowing disorders using video fluoroscopy, modified barium swallow studies, fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing, biofeedback and vital stim
- Management of communication and swallowing disorders of post-tracheostomy and post-ventilator-dependent patients
- Pre- and post-laryngectomy evaluations
- Assessment of augmentative communication needs
- Pediatric speech and language disorders
Our pelvic health specialists provide physical therapy, education and treatment to address a variety of issues, allowing patients to return to normal daily activity.
Among the issues treated at St. Mary’s Center for Pelvic Health are:
- Leakage when coughing, sneezing, lifting, walking, playing sports, climbing stairs, bending, etc.
- Pre-pregnancy, pregnancy and postpartum pelvic discomfort and incontinence
- Pelvic floor weakness
- Urgency to urinate, sometimes not making it to the restroom in time
- Frequent or painful urination
- Pelvic pain and spasm
- Pelvic/perineal pain when sitting
- Pain due to chronic constipation
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Erectile dysfunction
- Post-surgical care of the pelvic/perineal area for pain, spasm, scar release and strengthening
St. Mary’s Rehabilitation Services has five locations to serve you:
- St. Mary’s Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
2841 Fifth Avenue
Huntington, WV 25705
- St. Mary’s Outpatient Rehabilitation Services-HIMG
5170 U.S. Route 60 East
Huntington, WV 25705
- St. Mary’s Physical Therapy-Barboursville
6433 US Route 60 East
Barboursville, WV 25504
- St. Mary’s Physical Therapy-Lavalette
4554 Route 152
Lavalette, WV 25535
- St. Mary’s Physical Therapy-Hamlin
5782 McClellan Highway, Suite 103
Branchland, WV 25506
St. Mary's Outpatient Rehabilitation
2841 5th Avenue